And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.
Five lessons did the father teach Israel even before they arrived in Horeb:
1. He who had the power to bitter Egypt's waters by turning them to blood, and thereby drive its people to thirst also had the power to provide sweet waters for his own people in the middle of the desert.
2. He who had the power to starve the richest nation in the world by destroying their crops also had power to feed his people right in the middle of the desert.
3. He who had the power to kill Egypt's cattle so that they had no more of that free meat could provide meat for his people in the middle of the desert.
4. He who destroyed Egypt's armies could also strengthen Israel's ragtag armies against mighty Amalek.
5. He who saw the affliction of Israel in Egypt gave them the gift of the Sabbath.
The Sabbath is a sign of our appurtenance to Hashem. It is like an expensive wedding ring. It is a gift. As a future husband is proud of the beautiful ring he has purchased for his future bride and wants to proudly display it to her ahead of time, Hashem offers the Sabbath to Israel even before the people arrive in Horeb. In a sense, Hashem is displaying His true nature and tells Israel, "You see what I can, and will do for you? I deliver you; I give you sweet waters to drink from; I feed you; I even make your men mighty warriors in order to deliver you from your enemies!" Later, as He declares His intention to wed Israel he will say to her, Moshe went up to God, and Adonai called to him from the mountain: "Here is what you are to say to the household of Ya`akov, to tell the people of Isra'el:
Exo 19:4 'You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I carried you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself.
Exo 19:5 Now if you will pay careful attention to what I say and keep my covenant, then you will be my own treasure from among all the peoples, for all the earth is mine;
Exo 19:6 and you will be a kingdom of cohanim for me, a nation set apart.'
While in desert, even before arriving at Horeb Hashem was giving a 'sneak preview' to the Children of Israel of what He had in mind for them. The apostle says that today we are given the 'earnest of the Spirit' (2 Corinthians 1:22 KJV). This means that today we are only given a 'ten per cent guaranty' of what Hashem has in store for us, and that we should look forward to the full glory of His intended gift to us in the World to Come. As the people in the desert on their way to Horeb, we today enjoy a 'sneak-preview' of what is to come.
May we always refuse to look at the fake enslaving dainties of Egypt, and learn to keep our eyes focused on what Hashem does for us today, and that as a sign o the mighty glory that is to befall us in the World to Come.
May it be soon Abba, even in our days!